Welcome to the California Department of Social Services

Right Column


Adult Protective Services (APS)

Each California County has an Adult Protective Services (APS) agency to help elder adults (65 years and older) and dependent adults (18-64 who are disabled), when these adults are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation.  County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes, apartments, hotels or hospitals and health clinics when the alleged abuser is not at staff member.

The California Department of Health Services (DHCS), Licensing & Certification, handles cases of alleged abuse by a member of a hospital or health clinic. County APS staff evaluates abuse cases and arranges for services such as advocacy, counseling, money management, out-of-home placement, or conservatorship.

The Ombudsman's Office, which is administered by the California Department of Aging (CDA) has jurisdiction for investigating reports of abuse that occur at nursing homes, board and care homes, residential facilities for the elderly, or long term care facilities.

The California Department of State Hospitals has jurisdiction for investigating reports of alleged abuse at California State Mental Hospitals.

The California Department of Developmental Service (CDDS) has jurisdiction to investigate reports of alleged abuse that occur at State Developmental Centers.  

Cross reporting:   APS agencies, law enforcement agencies and the Ombudsman’s office have the responsibility to cross-report allegations of abuse to the appropriate law enforcement agencies, public agencies, and licensing entities having jurisdiction over these cases.

APS staff also provides information and referral to other agencies and educates the public about reporting requirements and responsibilities under the Elder and Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting laws.

For Whom

These services are available to any elder or dependent adult regardless of income.

Where To Get Help

If you want to report elder abuse, contact your local  county APS Office, (pdf). Abuse reports may also be made to your local law enforcement agency.

The following forms are to assist you in filing your report of suspected dependent adult or elder abuse.  If you are employed by a financial institution, please complete form SOC 342.  All other persons should complete form SOC 341.


  • Services are available to any person, regardless of income.
  • Services are available in all 58 counties.