IHSS Quality Assurance (QA)
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Quality Assurance (QA) measures began when the Department of Social Services (CDSS) proposed an IHSS/PCSP QA Initiative as an element of the Governor’s 2004/05 State Budget (as outlined in ACIN I-69-04). The proposal outlined a number of enhanced activities to be performed by CDSS, the counties, and the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) to improve the quality of IHSS/PCSP service need assessments, enhance program integrity, and detect and prevent program fraud and abuse. The proposal requested: (1) State and county staffing augmentations specifically for QA activities, (2) funding to establish an ongoing State training component for IHSS workers, and (3) funding for specified system changes tied to QA and program integrity activities.
The CDSS QA proposal was adopted by the Administration. Funding for new State and county QA staff, the IHSS/PCSP training program, and systems changes was included in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2004/05 Budget Act. In FY 2004/05, trailer bill amended existing California Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) in Section 12300.
Subsequently, both the IPO State Plan Amendment (2009) and the Community First Choice Option State Plan Amendment (2011) are included in all QA Initiative requirements.
CDSS, in partnership with counties and other stakeholders, continues to improve upon the IHSS program so that recipients are able to remain safely in their homes and communities.
Letters and Notices
- IHSS QA All County Letters and Notices (ACLs and ACINs)
- IHSS Program Integrity and Fraud Prevention ACLs and ACINs
- IHSS ACLs and ACINs
Error Rate Studies
- ACIN I-49-12 (October 10, 2012)
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) 2009 Hospital Stay Error Rate Study, pdf
QA Monitoring Activities Report
- FY 2013-14 QA/QI Annual Report, pdf
- FY 2012-13 QA/QI Annual Report, pdf
- 2010 QA Monitoring Activities Report for Calendar Year 2009, pdf
- 2009 QA Monitoring Activities Report for Calendar Year 2008, pdf
- 2008 QA Monitoring Activities Report for Calendar Year 2007, pdf
- 2007 QA Monitoring Activities Report for Calendar Year 2006, pdf