The Budget Act of 2011 includes a major realignment of public safety programs from the state to local governments. The realignment moves programs and fiscal responsibility to the level of government that can best provide the services, while eliminating duplication of effort, generating savings, and increasing flexibility. Assembly Bill (AB) 118 (Chapter 40, Statutes of 2011) and ABX1 16 (Chapter 13, Statutes of 2011) , realigns the California Department of Social Services' (CDSS) funding for Adoption Services, Foster Care, Child Welfare Services, and Adult Protective Services, and programs from the state to local governments and redirects specified tax revenues to fund this effort. AB 118 and AB 16 establish the Health and Human Services Account within the Local Revenue Fund 2011, which contains program subaccounts for CDSS and the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs.
Senate Bill (SB) 1020 (Chapter 40, Statutes of 2012) created a permanent fund structure for 2011 Realignment, and merged the subaccounts established by AB 118 and AB 16 into the Protective Services Subaccount within the Supportive Services Account. In addition, SB 1013 (Chapter 35, Statutes of 2012) provided necessary statutory and technical changes to implement provisions of the Budget Act of 2012 related to 2011 Realignment and Child Welfare Services.
For more information on other state departments impacted by realignment, please refer to the other State Departments Impacted by Realignment section below. Specific information for AB 109 and AB 117, which mandates that individuals sentenced to non-serious, non-violent or non-sex offenses will serve their sentences in county jails instead of state prison, can be found under the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
Child Welfare Services Realignment: Outcome and Expenditure Data Summary Report
The California Department of Social Services is pleased to release the first annual Child Welfare Services Realignment report as required by Senate Bill 1013 (Chapter 35, Statutes of 2012) .
CDSS Realignment Frequently Asked Questions
County Fiscal Letters (CFLs)
- CFL 12-13-08: (August 29, 2012) Temporary County Assistance (CA) 800 Claims For Extended Foster Care (ECF), 18+ And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD)
- CFL 12-13-19: (October 16, 2012) Fiscal Year (FY) 2012-13 Federal Planning Allocation For The Child Welfare Services (CWS) And Foster Care (FC) Assistance Programs
- CFL 12-13-20: (November 15, 2012) Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 California Department Of Social Services (CDSS) General Fund (GF) Recoupment Impacted By Realignment 2011
- CFL 12-13-27: (January 11, 2013) Adjustment To Cover The Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 Net Shortfall In Foster Care (FC) Assistance And Adoptions Assistance Program (AAP)
- CFL 12-13-29: (February 25, 2013) Interim County Assistance (CA) 800 Claiming Instructions For The Federal Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payment ( Fed-GAP) Program For Prior Month Adjustments
- CFL 12-13-02: Changes to County Assistance (CA 800) Claim for Federal Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payment (KIN-GAP) Program Code 4T Cases
- CFL 12-13-16: Fiscal Year (FY) 2012-13 Percentage Calculation for the Realignment 2011 Programs Impacted by Senate Bill (SB) 1020 and SB 1013
- CFL 11-12-39: Revised Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 Realignment 2011 Adoptions Assistance Program (AAP), Child Welfare Services (CWS), And Foster Care (FC) Assistance Subaccounts Percentage Distributions
- CFL 11/12-29: Assistance Claim (CA 800) Instructions for the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Program
- CFL 11/12-24: Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 Federal Allocation for the Child Welfare Services (CWS) and Foster Care (FC) Assistance Programs Title XX
- CFL 11/12-23: Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 Distribution for California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Assistance
- CFL 11/12-18: Fiscal Year (FY) 2011-12 Realignment 2011: The Percentage Calculation for the Programs Impacted by Assembly Bill (AB) 118 (Chapter 40, Statutes Of 2011) and ABX1 16 (Blumenfield)
Other State Departments Impacted By Realignment
Department of Health Care Services
State Controller’s Office
- Protective Services Subaccount
- CalWORKS Maintenance of Effort
- Monthly Health and Human Services Account
Reports On Realignment
- LAO Report - May 24, 2012
- LAO Report - May 2, 2012
- LAO Report - January 11, 2012
- LAO Report - August 19, 2011
2011 Stakeholder Meetings
Any comments or questions related to CDSS realignment, please contact CDSS2011Realignment@dss.ca.gov