Rights and Responsibilities
When you apply for CalFresh benefits, you have rights and responsibilities. Your most important right is to be treated fairly without regard to race, color, national origin, political beliefs, religion, gender, age, or disability. If you think you have been discriminated against, you may file a complaint by:
- Contacting your county’s civil rights coordinator
- Call (916) 654-2107 or 866-741-6241 (toll free)
- Write to:
California Department of Social Services
Civil Rights Bureau, M.S. 8-16-70
P.O. Box 94243
Sacramento, CA 94244-2430
- If you get Calfresh benefits only, write to:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Food and Consumer Service
P.O. Box 944243
Civil Rights Office
550 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94108-2518
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Receive an application when you ask for it.
- Turn in your application the same day you receive it.
- Receive your CalFresh benefits (or be notified that you are not eligible for the program) within 30 days after you turn in your application.
- Receive expedited CalFresh benefits within three (3) days if you are eligible and have little or no money.
- Have a fair hearing if you disagree with any action taken on your case.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES ARE TO:
- Answer all questions completely and honestly when you apply for CalFresh benefits. Sign your name to certify, under penalty of perjury, that all your answers are true.
Provide proof that you are eligible.
- Promptly report changes in household circumstances to the CalFresh office.
- Not put your money or possessions in someone else’s name in order to be able to get CalFresh benefits.
- Not make changes on any CalFresh cards or documents.
- Not sell, trade, or give away your CalFresh benefits, or any CalFresh cards or documents.
- Use CalFresh benefits only to buy eligible items.