Register for an Orientation

If you are interested in obtaining a California license to operate a Children's Residential care facility, you must first attend an orientation. 

Which orientation do I need to take?

If you are not sure which orientation to take, check facility types for a listing of the different categories. For questions regarding the licensing process, please contact the local Children's Residential Regional Office nearest you. 

The Children’s Residential licensing programs provide short-term or long-term care for children who are no longer able to live with their parents or guardians. In-person orientations are available for the following:

  • Adoption Agencies (AA) 
  • Crisis Nurseries (CN) 
  • Foster Family Agency (FFA) 
  • Group Homes (GH)
  • Community Treatment Facilities (CTF) 
  • Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelters (RHYS)
  • Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Program (STRTP)
  • Small Family Homes (SFH) 
  • Transitional Housing Placement Program + Foster Care (THP+FC) 
  • Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP)

For those interested in obtaining a license for the facilities listed above, or to find orientation locations and schedules, please refer to the information below or contact the Children's Residential Regional Office nearest you.

San Jose Children's Residential Regional Office  

Sacramento Children’s Residential Regional Office

    • Chico Children’s Residential Unit (serving Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity & Yuba)

Riverside Children’s Residential Regional Office

    • Orange County Children’s Residential Unit (serving Orange)
    • San Diego Children’s Residential Unit (serving San Diego & Imperial)

Monterey Park Children’s Residential Regional Office
 (serving Los Angeles, Kern, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara & Ventura) 

Culver City Children’s Residential Regional Office

    • Woodland Hills Children’s Residential Unit (serving Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara & Ventura)

Other Resources

Licensing Fees
Licensing Laws and Regulations
Map of County Foster Family Home Licensing Program
Map of Children's Residential Regional Offices