Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006
Expanded Background Checks of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006:
Laws were enacted in 2006 and 2007
- FEDERAL – The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-248, Social Security Act Title IV-E)
- STATE – Senate Bill 703 (Ducheny) Chapter 583, Statutes of 2007
These laws affect the following community care licensed facilities
- Counties authorized to License Foster Family Homes and Certified Family Homes
- Relative and Non-Related Extended Family Homes
The laws changed the background check process for prospective foster parents
- A completed FBI criminal history check is required prior to licensure or certification.
- Any prospective foster parent or other adult in the home who has lived in another state in the past five years must have a completed out-of-state child abuse/neglect check prior to licensure, certification or approval.
- Applies to prospective foster parents applying for licensure, certification, or approval after January 1, 2008.
Out-of-state contacts and forms have been developed and are available on the CDSS web site.
Out-of-State Disclosure & Criminal Record Statement - LIC 508D
Out-of-State Disclosure & Criminal Record Statement - LIC 508D (Spanish)
Out-of-State Child Abuse/Neglect Report Request - LIC 198B
Out-of-State Child Abuse/Neglect Report Request - County Template
For County Foster Family Home Program Licensing Agencies
For Foster Family Agencies
Children's Residential Program Office Staff
The following additional information and materials are available to help you.
List of Contacts For Other States’ Child Abuse and Neglect Registries (updated 3/27/2017)
Out-of-state forms are available on the CDSS web site under “Adam Walsh Information and Forms”
Brief summary of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006:
Requests From Other States for California Information
Who to contact with questions about California’s implementation:
- Caregiver Background Check Bureau (888) 422-5669
- Community Care Licensing Division, County Liaisons (916) 323-1691
- Children and Family Services Division, County Relative Assessment/Approval (916) 657-1858