Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006
Expanded Background Checks of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006:
Laws were enacted in 2006 and 2007
- FEDERAL – The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-248, Social Security Act Title IV-E)
- STATE – Senate Bill 703 (Ducheny) Chapter 583, Statutes of 2007
These laws affect the following community care licensed facilities
- Counties authorized to License Foster Family Homes and Certified Family Homes
- Relative and Non-Related Extended Family Homes
The laws changed the background check process for prospective foster parents
- A completed FBI criminal history check is required prior to licensure or certification.
- Any prospective foster parent or other adult in the home who has lived in another state in the past five years must have a completed out-of-state child abuse/neglect check prior to licensure, certification or approval.
- Applies to prospective foster parents applying for licensure, certification, or approval after January 1, 2008.
Out-of-state contacts and forms have been developed and are available on the CDSS web site.
Out-of-State Disclosure & Criminal Record Statement - LIC 508D
Out-of-State Disclosure & Criminal Record Statement - LIC 508D (Spanish)
Out-of-State Child Abuse/Neglect Report Request - LIC 198B
Out-of-State Child Abuse/Neglect Report Request - County Template
For County Foster Family Home Program Licensing Agencies
For Foster Family Agencies
Children's Residential Program Office Staff
The following additional information and materials are available to help you.
- Out-of-state forms are available on the CDSS web site under “Adam Walsh Information and Forms”
Brief summary of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006:
Requests From Other States for California Information
Who to contact with questions about California’s implementation:
- Caregiver Background Check Bureau (888) 422-5669
- Community Care Licensing Division, County Liaisons (916) 323-1691
- Children and Family Services Division, County Relative Assessment/Approval (916) 657-1858