Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors - Request For Applications
The California Department of Social Services (CDSS), Refugee Programs Bureau (RPB) invites non-profit legal services organizations to apply for the Unaccompanied Undocumented Minor (UUM) Legal Services Funding for State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2014-15.
Senate Bill (SB) 873 (Statutes of 2014, Chapter 685) enacted California Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) §13300-§13302 which authorizes the CDSS to award funding to qualified nonprofit legal services organizations to provide legal services to eligible Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors (UUMs), as defined in Section 279(g)(2) of Title 6 of the United States Code, who are present in California and transferred to the care and custody of the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) or are residing with a sponsor.
The funding for legal services provided pursuant to SB 873 is for the sole purpose of providing legal representation for UUMs in the filing of, preparation for, and representation in administrative and/or judicial proceedings for the following immigration statuses: asylum, T-Visa, U-Visa, and/or Special Immigrant Juvenile status. The legal services include culturally and linguistically appropriate services provided by attorneys, paralegals, interpreters and other support staff for state court proceedings, federal immigration proceedings, and any appeals arising from those proceedings.
Updated Application Form as of 11/13/14 - Addendum #1
APPENDIX A – Certification Form
APPENDIX B – California Counties by Region
Exhibit A: Legal Services Scope of Work
Exhibit B: Budget Detail and Payment Provisions
An addendum to the UUM Legal Services Funding Application Announcement was released on Thursday, November 13, 2014. The following changes have been made to the application and appendices and are shown in bold type in the application form:
- In question number two (2) of the Project Narrative, a request for references has been added, which states, "Provide two or three organizations with contact names and phone numbers that your organization has trained."
- In question number three (3) of the Project Narrative, a request for references has been added, which states, "Provide two or three contact names and phone numbers of attorneys that your organization has guided or supervised in this capacity."
- Question number eight (8) has been added to the Project Narrative, which states, "Of the number of UUM cases noted in question seven (7), please indicate in which region(s) services will be provided." Select the corresponding check box(es) listed after question eight (8).
- Appendix A – Unaccompanied Undocumented Minor (UUM) Legal Services Funding Certification Form – has been added to the application to provide certification that the applicant is accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals and/or meets the requirements to receive funding from the Trust Fund Program. Appendix A is a reference to question four (4).
- Appendix B - California Counties by Region - has been added to the application to indicate which specific counties are in each of the three (3) regions. Appendix B is a reference to question eight (8).
In addition to the changes in the application, please note: In the email distributed on September 26, 2014 with the Nonprofit Legal Services Organization Survey extension, the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) stated that organizations which did not submit a completed survey would not be considered for funding. However, the CDSS will consider applications from all eligible organizations, whether or not they submitted the survey.
The application is required to be signed by the person authorized by the nonprofit legal services organization to submit the application and must be received by the RPB at or before 5:00 p.m. on November 24, 2014 to be considered for funding.
Applications may be mailed (hard copy) to:
California Department of Social Services
Refugee Programs Bureau UUM Legal Services Funding
744 P Street, MS 8-9-646
Sacramento, CA 95814
Emailed to: UUMLegalServices@dss.ca.gov
Please email the UUM mailbox at UUMLegalServices@dss.ca.gov with any questions. Thank you.