California Disaster Help and Information Center

This website is designed to provide information and resources regarding public assistance and services available to individuals and families impacted by California wildfires and other natural disasters or emergencies.

Resource Guides to Disaster Assistance

Hot Food Waiver

The United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Services has approved a waiver to allow the sale of hot foods as a result of the Camp and Woolsey Fires. The waiver allows CalFresh households to purchase hot foods with CalFresh benefits through January 16, 2019, at participating retailers in the counties of Butte, Tehama, Plumas, Yuba, Sutter, Colusa, and Glenn. Many impacted households remain displaced from their permanent homes and are still unable to store food or do not have access to cooking facilities.  

Cash Aid and Food Assistance

CalWORKs is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. The program is operated locally by county welfare departments.

The CalFresh Program, issues monthly, electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores. During times of disaster when there has been a Presidential Declaration with Individual Assistance , California may operate Disaster-CalFresh (D-CalFresh) in specific areas to provide a temporary, 30-day benefit to households who may have been impacted by the disaster. 

If you are a current CalFresh recipient affected by a disaster and you meet the household eligibility requirements, please contact your local County Welfare Department for additional information on how to request supplemental disaster benefits. If you are a new applicant affected by a disaster, meet the household eligibility requirements, and you would like to apply for D‑CalFresh, you can apply in person at your local County Welfare Department or other designated D-CalFresh application site during a specific enrollment period.

This website connects you to applications for CalFresh, CalWORKs and Medi-Cal benefits in California.

Food Banks

Food Banks throughout California can provide relief to families affected by the wildfires by providing them with emergency food assistance at no cost. Locate a food bank in your area.

Housing Assistance

County Welfare Departments have funding specifically designated to support families and individuals experiencing homelessness. All counties administer the CalWORKs Homeless Assistance Program, which provides temporary assistance to pay for up to 16 days in a motel to families who are eligible for or receiving CalWORKs assistance. For more information, contact your local County Welfare Department or visit a Local Assistance Center. Most counties also operate a CalWORKs Housing Support Program, which offers longer term housing search and rental supports. For more information about the program, please reach out to your county Housing Support Program contact. The full county contact list can be found here.

County Welfare Departments may have housing supports available to families and individuals experiencing homelessness. Additional information on those programs can be found here.

Unemployment Services

The California Employment Development Department provides a variety of relief and services to individuals and businesses impacted by the wildfire disasters in California. These range from assistance for those who may have lost a job due to the disaster, to employers who are forced to shut down operations. Find out more about unemployment services here.

Grant Assistance for Individuals and Families

The California Department of Social Services, Disaster Services Bureau, can provide grant assistance through two programs. They are the Individuals and Households Program (IHP) and the State Supplemental Grant Program (SSGP). Find out more about grant programs here.

Northern California residents may register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

In-Home Supportive Services

Recipients and providers of In-Home Supportive Services with questions regarding services impacted by the wildfires should contact your county IHSS worker. Here is a list of county IHSS offices.

Local Assistance Centers

Local Assistance Centers are open in affected counties to provide a wide variety of services and assistance to individuals and families. You can contact you local county to determine the location and hours of operation.

Locating Residents Evacuated from State Licensed Community Care Facilities

If you are trying to locate someone who has been evacuated from a State licensed community care facility due to the California wildfires the Department has a listing of known evacuations and destinations.

Additional Resources

DMV Assists California Fire Victims
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is offering limited services to residents affected by the wildfires raging across the state. Fire victims who need to replace lost or damaged DMV-related documents can do so free of charge at assistance centers in the impacted areas. Fire victims also can receive support at local DMV field offices, by calling DMV customer service at 1-800-777-0133 or by visiting

Disaster Distress Helpline
SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

Department of Insurance Information for Recent Wildfire Victims
To assist wildfire victims, the California Department of Insurance developed a guide to expedite the recovery process.

For information regarding fire evacuations and shelter locations visit the Cal Fire current Incidents webpage.