Page Under Construction

This webpage has been copied from at CDE.
As we are implementing the child care transition to CDSS, there may be additional modifications made to these webpages.

Residential Care

Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin

To: All Public and Private Day Care Home Agencies Participating in the Child Adult Care Food Program

Number: 01-216

Attention: Agency Directors

Date: November 2001

Subject: Residential Care

Reference: United States Department of Agriculture CACFP Policy Memo 01-22

This Management Bulletin reiterates Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) policy for claiming meals served to children in residence at family day care homes.

Generally, a day care home provider may only claim meals served to enrolled children who do not reside at the provider’s home. One exception is the provider’s own children. If the provider’s household qualifies for either free or reduced meal reimbursement, then the provider may claim the meals served to the provider’s children (under the age of ten years).

Another exception is the temporary, overnight placement of an enrolled child in a provider's home by a parent due to an emergency situation. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Instruction 776-4 states, in part:

"When an emergency temporary residential situation occurs, these children may continue to be claimed by the provider for meals served to them within the existing limitations on meals and days of operation. In order to ensure the proper implementation of this policy, State agencies may permit this temporary care for up to 3 consecutive calendar days."

Military personnel, in particular, routinely face emergency or unexpected situations. USDA APB:CAC-90-28 states that if the temporary duty for military personnel is "unexpected," then the provider may reimbursed for the meals served to those children placed with them for up to three consecutive calendar days. If, on the other hand, the duty is "anticipated" and sufficient prior notification is received, then the provider may not claim the meals served to those children placed with them for more than 24 hours.

To claim those meals served to children in temporary residence, the provider should indicate the children on the attendance record and provide a brief explanation of why they were placed in the home. If possible, the provider should receive a copy of the parent’s military orders.

Questions:   Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.