College and Career Success

Crowd of college graduates from behind with their grad caps and gowns on

Includes information and resources to support educational outcomes beyond high school (i.e. college, university, etc.).

College Support Programs

  • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides assistance through mentorship, academic programs, financial assistance, counseling/advising, and other campus support services to those who are first-generation college students, and/or from low-income and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. The EOP program is available at CSU and UC campuses only. Find answers to frequently asked questions, see campus contacts, and apply to EOP.   
  • Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) encourages the enrollment, retention, and transfer of students disadvantaged by language, social, economic, and educational circumstances, and helps to facilitate the successful completion of their goals and objectives in college. EOPS offers academic and support counseling, financial aid, and other support services. The EOPS program is available at California Community Colleges.
  • California College Pathways programs may offer peer advisors and personal counselors, who can become your on-campus family. They can provide academic advising, housing assistance, tutoring, mentoring, financial assistance, special accommodations for students with disabilities, counseling, social activities and many other resources. Visit the California College Campus Listing to search colleges for foster youth campus support programs.
  • NextUp also known as CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support), provides community college students like you with resources that make a difference. The program offers eligible current and former foster youth support and services that could include help with books and supplies, transportation, tutoring, food and emergency housing.

Online Financial Aid Resources for Foster Youth

  • CalGrant/CA Dream Act is available to students attending college in California and can cover tuition costs as well as other costs such as housing and books. Foster youth are given special consideration when applying for a CalGrant. Foster youth can qualify any time up to age 26 (other students must apply within one year of high school graduation), may have an extended deadline to apply, and can receive the grant for 8 years rather than the usual 4 years. Students who are undocumented can submit a California Dream Act Application.
  • Chafee Education Training Voucher (ETV) is managed through an interagency agreement between the California Department of Social Services and the California Student Aid Commission. Current and former foster youth who were in out of home placement between the ages of 16-18 may be eligible to receive up to $5,000 for college.
  • California College Promise Grant formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver, the California College Promise Grant permits enrollment fees to be waived for eligible California residents.
  • Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain postbaccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. In order to apply for and receive the Pell Grant, you should start by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form . You will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school, to stay eligible for federal student aid.    

Please call (916) 651-7465 or email for addition college or financial aid information. 

College Planning Resources

  •  College Educated Foster Youth College Resources developed an extensive list of resources for foster youth, foster parents, social workers, teachers, administrators, college professionals, and really anyone who comes in contact with this population in hopes that understanding, and knowledge will help more foster youth achieve their dream of a higher education.
  • Intelligent: College Planning Guide For Students With Mental Health Conditions Enrolling in college as a student with a mental health condition doesn’t need to be overwhelming or intimidating. Students who know their rights and learn how to ask for assistance can go on to complete their degree and have a positive educational experience in the process.
  • Intelligent: The Best Accredited Online Colleges, Universities, and Schools list features some of the best online colleges and universities across the country. Each school featured is a nonprofit, accredited institution, either public or private, with a high standard of academic quality for post-secondary institutions.

CDSS Letters and Information Notices