Master Plan for Aging and the In-Home Supportive Services Program
California’s over-65 population is projected to grow to 8.6 million by 2030. In recognizing the importance of ensuring that Californians age with dignity and independence, Governor Newsom has issued an Executive Order calling for a statewide Master Plan for Aging. This effort is ordered to serve as the blueprint for state and local government, private entities and philanthropic engagement to promote healthy aging to serve the needs of older adults, their families and their caregivers.
Stakeholder Advisory Committee
Governor Newsom’s executive order calls for the development of a Stakeholder Advisory Committee, which is comprised of 34 stakeholders with varying expertise who will help develop components of the Master Plan and advise the California Health and Human Services Agency and the Cabinet-level Workgroup on Aging in the development of the Master Plan. For more information on Stakeholder Advisory Committee meetings and events, please visit the Master Plan for Aging home page.
The Governor’s executive order also requires the formation of subcommittees on Research and Long-Term Services and Supports. The CDSS Adult Programs Division will work closely with the LTSS Subcommittee as it prepares a report to the Governor on the following issues by March 2020:
- The growth and sustainability of LTSS programs and their infrastructure, including the IHSS program.
- Access to long-term care, financing for long-term care services, and the quality of long-term care provided in an array of settings.
- The impact of program sustainability and other factors, such as labor supply and retention of the workforce providing long-term services and supports.
- A recommendation to stabilize long-term care, including the IHSS program as a foundational source for implementing the Master Plan whereby our aging population can safely remain in their own homes within their own communities.
CDSS will hold five public forums on the sustainability and future of the IHSS program statewide in the coming months. These listening sessions will give IHSS recipients, providers and other stakeholders an opportunity to discuss sustainability strategies and IHSS program enhancements. These ideas will then be shared with the LTSS subcommittee.
UPCOMING IHSS LISTENING SESSIONS
- Chico: Tuesday, January 7, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m., Butte Community Employment Center – Chico (next to Sportsman’s Warehouse), Condor Room #120 (downstairs), 765 East Ave, Chico, CA 95926
- Dial in: 888-324-3619
- Participant passcode: 5400081
- Los Angeles: Friday, January 10, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m., Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Banks-Huntley Building, Edison Room, 634 S. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014
- Dial in: 888-390-0851
- Participant passcode: 4285780
IHSS Listening Session Presentation - January 2020