Close-up of a man's hands using a cell phoneMake a Complaint

To file a complaint regarding a state licensed community care facility or child care facility, Call :

1-844-LET US NO 


Remember, when you report suspected violations, you not only protect individuals in care facilities, but also perform a service to your community.

How can I file a complaint regarding a facility, a facility licensee, or a facility staff person?

Determine what type of facility you are filing a complaint against. Is it a Community Care Facility, or is it a Health Care Facility?

Community Care Facilities

(Licensed by the California Department of Social Services)

Less than 24-hour nonmedical care and supervision: 

  • Child Care Centers
  • Family Child Care Homes
  • Adult Day Programs

24-hour nonmedical care and supervision:

  • Children's Residential Facilities: Group Homes, Foster Family Homes, Small Family Homes, Transitional Housing, Crisis Nursery, Adoption Agencies, Foster Family Agencies
  • Adult Residential Facilities: (includes Social Rehabilitation Facilities)
  • Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly

Health Care Facilities

(Licensed by the California Department of Public Health)

  • Provide care to individuals who require medical care and supervision
  • General Acute Care Hospitals, Acute Psychiatric Hospitals, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Intermediate Care Facilities, Chemical Dependency Recovery Hospitals, Adult Day Health Centers, Correctional Treatment Centers, and Rehabilitation Clinics. (There are 30 different types.)
  • For complaints against Health Care Facilities, please contact the California Department of Public Health, Licensing and Certification Division.

Who do I contact for complaints against Community Care Facilities?

First, try to resolve minor concerns or differences with the provider. If your concerns are still not addressed and you believe that the provider is breaking licensing laws, a complaint should be filed. Call 1-844-LET US NO / 1-844-(538-8766)  Your name will remain anonymous unless you give us permission to use it. 

If you believe there is physical or sexual abuse involved, you should also report it to local law enforcement.

How will my complaint be handled?

It is the responsibility of the licensing agency, the parents or other responsible party, and the provider to ensure that licensed Community Care Facilities are providing safe care. Community Care Facilities are required by state law and regulation to follow basic health and safety practices.

  • The licensing agency will make an unannounced visit to the facility to investigate the complaint within 10 days of receipt of the complaint.
  • You will be informed of the results of the investigation.

In the interim, should you have any questions or concerns, you may contact the local licensing office.

Contact Us:

For questions regarding the Department's Community Care Licensing Division, please send an e-mail to . If you are asking a question please include enough information for us to contact you and follow up.

Community Care Licensing
Regional Office

  • Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Adult Residential Facilities, Adult Day Programs, Social Rehabilitation Facilities--contact the Adult/Senior Care Regional Office where the facility is located
  • Find information on licensed care.

For all other counties--contact the appropriate Child Care Program Office