Immigration Services

The California Department of Social Services funds programs at community based organizations that help immigrants who live in California. The programs offer many types of free legal services, as well as information about other services that support immigrants such as outreach, community education, and other immigration remedies. These organizations can teach you about your rights and some can also give legal advice on how to change your immigration status. Legal services include access to information and application assistance for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Naturalization, Other Immigration Remedies (OIR), and immigration protections for Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors (UUMs).

If you have temporary immigration status through the federal Temporary Protected Status (TPS) program, we encourage you to explore other immigration status options. The California Department of Social Services has funded organizations that can assist you. These organizations have met high professional standards and are located in the communities they serve.

Public Charge

List of Public Charge Service providers

**The public charge regulation does not apply to lawful permanent residents (green card holders) applying for citizenship, refugees, asylees, Special Immigrant Juveniles (SIJs), certain trafficking victims (T nonimmigrants), victims of qualifying criminal activity (U nonimmigrants), or victims of domestic violence (VAWA self-petitioners), among others.

DACA Legal Services

Find important updates regarding DACA at the website below. Find immigration legal service providers throughout California for DACA via the Contractor Referral List below.

DACA Updates

DACA Contractor Referral List

Immigration Legal Services

If you are a permanent resident with a Green Card, you may qualify to become a U.S. citizen through "naturalization." There are many benefits to U.S. citizenship. U.S. citizens have the right to vote and run for public office. They can also apply for a U.S. passport. We encourage you to find out if you qualify to become a U.S. citizen and learn more about applying.

Find immigration legal services for other immigration remedies throughout California such as T-Visa, U-Visa, Violence Against Women Act, and Asylum via the webpage below.

Contact CDSS Immigration Services Contractors

Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors Legal Services

Unaccompanied minors may be eligible to obtain an immigration status including Asylum, T-Visa, U-Visa, and/or Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) via the California Department of Social Services website below. Find immigration legal service providers throughout California via the contact list below.

Contact CDSS Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors Contractors

Contact Us:

Phone: (916) 651-8017
Fax: (916) 654-7187

California Department of Social Services
Immigration Services Unit, MS 9-6-33
P.O. Box 944243
Sacramento, CA 94244-2430

Information and Resources

For more information and resources visit the Immigration Services website. This resource is designed to assist county eligibility workers and other partners who provide services to the public.