NEW PAID SICK LEAVE PROGRAM INFORMATION
Beginning July 1, 2018, the new IHSS Paid Sick Leave Program is available for current, active IHSS program providers.
The California Department of Social Services is starting a new program that will allow current, active IHSS providers in all California counties the ability to receive annual paid sick leave beginning State Fiscal Year July 1, 2018.
New IHSS providers who begin working for a recipient after July 1, 2018 will receive:
- Eight hours of paid sick leave after working 100 hours of providing authorized services for an IHSS recipient after their initial hire date. These eight hours of accrued paid sick leave cannot be used until an additional 200 hours of authorized services have been worked or until after 60 calendar days has passed, whichever comes first.
Existing IHSS providers who began working for a recipient prior toJuly 1, 2018 will receive:
- Eight hours of paid sick leave after working 100 hours of providing authorized services for an IHSS recipient beginning State Fiscal Year July 1, 2018. These eight hours of accrued paid sick leave cannot be used until an additional 200 hours of authorized services have been worked or until after 60 calendar days has passed, whichever comes first.
These are one-time requirements that must be completed to accrue and use paid sick leave. A provider who completes the hours or time requirements will continue to accrue eight hours of paid sick leave each State Fiscal Year, July 1, as he/she continues to work as an active IHSS provider. Any provider who ceases employment with IHSS for longer than one year shall be considered inactive, and would need to complete the process again to earn and use paid sick leave.
At the end of each State Fiscal Year, June 30th, any unused paid sick leave will expire.
Accrual will be increased to 16 hours of paid sick leave for each year, calendar year or twelve-month period of employment on the date on which the State minimum wage reaches $13.00 per hour (scheduled for January 1, 2020) and to 24 hours of paid sick leave for each year, calendar, or twelve-month period of employment on the date on which the State minimum wage reaches $15.00 per hour (scheduled for January 1, 2022).
Two ways to request paid sick leave
Submit a paper-copy of the Sick Leave Request Form
To request paid sick leave, an IHSS provider must:
- Complete the paper version of the IHSS Program Provider Sick Leave Request Form (SOC 2302). The provider can obtain the SOC 2302 form through the CDSS website and print it, or receive a printed copy from their county IHSS office.
The SOC 2302 details the name and number of the provider and the date and times of the paid sick leave. Providers are not required to disclose on the SOC 2302 the specific reason why he/she needs to use paid sick leave hours. The SOC 2302 is only required to be signed by the provider.
Each provider is responsible for submitting their completed SOC 2302 form in a separate envelope when he/she submits his/her timesheet for processing.
- Send only the completed SOC 2302 form to the address written on the SOC 2302 form.
- Make a copy of the completed SOC 2302 form for your records.
- If the SOC 2302 is not received for processing by the end of the following month in which the sick leave is claimed, the provider’s claim cannot be processed.
Submit an electronic copy of the Sick Leave Request Form
- The provider can also complete a paid sick leave request on the IHSS Electronic Services Portal (ESP) formally known as the Electronic Timesheet System (ETS).
Providers who have an account registered on the IHSS Electronic Services Portal website may fill out a request for sick leave electronically. The benefits of this include not having to obtain a SOC 2302 form from the county or CDSS website, and avoiding potential delays in mailing the SOC 2302 which can cause delayed payments.
Receiving your payment for paid sick leave
Paid sick leave will be mailed to providers in a separate warrant from their regular payment. If a provider is signed up for direct deposit, the sick leave payment will be delivered via direct deposit.
Interested in direct deposit? You can learn more about direct deposit and sign up for direct deposit using the paper enrollment form link here. You can choose to sign up online for direct deposit. Scroll down to the section entitled "New Online Direct Deposit Service" for details.
You can call your local county IHSS office or Public Authority if you have any questions about using Sick Leave.
In addition, the IHSS Service Desk at (866) 376-7066 is available to answer questions about sick leave earnings, usage, and balance.
To claim Sick Leave electronically, you must be registered and have an ETS account. ALREADY HAVE A REGISTERED ACCOUNT? You are ready to go!
TO SET UP AND REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT TO BEGIN CLAIMING SICK LEAVE TIME: Go to the following website to set up an account, select the “New User Registration” link, and follow the online prompts: https://www.etimesheets.ihss.ca.gov If you need help, please call the IHSS Service Desk at (866) 376-7066.
Paid Sick Leave Program Learning Options
The three learning modules listed below provide information for providers and recipients, including, an overview of paid sick leave, information regarding requesting paid sick leave time, and how to view paid sick leave claim history on the IHSS Electronic Services Portal (ESP) Website.
The IHSS Service Help Desk at (866) 376-7066 is available to answer questions about sick leave earnings, usage, and balance. Please contact the IHSS Service Desk at (866) 376-7066 during normal business hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding major holidays.