Child Tax Credit
The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a tax benefit that can help provide tax filers a significant income boost. While the temporary expansions to these tax credits have ended, the credits continue to provide valuable support to thousands of households.
If eligible, you can still claim the expanded Child Tax Credit up to $3600 per qualifying child by filing a 2021 tax return by April 18, 2025. You may file for and claim a prior year's tax credits, for up to three years from the due date of your tax return. Listed below are the resources on how to get started:
- To find out if you were eligible, use this
- To file a prior year tax return, complete and file Form 1040 and a Schedule EIC, if you had a qualifying child.
- If you filed a tax return for 2021, but didn't claim the CTC and you were eligible, file an amended return. See Tax Topic 308, Amended Returns.
Claim the California Young Child Tax Credit
The Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC) provides a credit up $1,083 per tax return for Californians who qualify for CalEITC and have a child under 6 years old.
For tax year 2022 forward, you may qualify for YCTC without having earned income provided all of the following apply:
- Your total wages, salaries, tips, and other employee compensation (whether subject to California withholding or not), if any, do not exceed $32,490
- Your total net loss does not exceed $32,490, and
- You otherwise meet the CalEITC and YCTC requirements
How To Claim the CTC for Prior Years
Additional information on the CTC and YCTC can be found on the IRS and FTB webpages.