Resources for Children, Non-Minor Dependents & Families

You can learn more about what types of children’s resident care are available in California by reviewing a brief description of each licensed children’s residential category and program.

You can search licensed facilities by using the Facility Search website, also known as the Transparency Website which has been compiled to provide the public with important information regarding facilities licensed by the Community Care Licensing Division of the California Department of Social Services.  Additional information about a particular facility is available from the appropriate licensing office.

If you have concerns about a licensed care provider, first try to resolve minor concerns or differences with the provider.  If your concerns are still not addressed and you believe that the provider is breaking licensing laws, a complaint should be filed.  Call 1-844-LET US NO / 1-844-(538-8766).  Your name will remain anonymous unless you give us permission to use it.

Review a Facility File

Are you interested in finding out if a facility meets licensing requirements?  If so, you may contact your local Children's Residential Regional Office or Foster Family Home (FFH) County Licensing and Resource Family Approval (RFA) Program, and make a request to review the licensee's facility file.  The file will contain information related to evaluation visits conducted by the licensing agency and any complaints against the facility that were substantiated by the Department.

Map of Children's Residential Regional Offices

Report Abuse

  • Child Protective Services:  CPS is the major system of intervention of child abuse and neglect in California.  Existing law provides for services to abused and neglected children and their families, with the goal of keeping the child in his/her own home when it is safe, and when the child is at risk, to develop an alternate plan as quickly as possible. The Social Security Administration (SSA), Office of the Inspector General (OIG), Fraud Hotline provides an avenue for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse within SSA's programs and operations.  Contact the Child Protective Services (CPS) Hotlines for all 58 counties in California for information on how to report child abuse or make complaints.
  • Adult Protective Services (APS):  Each county has an APS agency to help elder adults (65 years and older) and dependent adults (18-64 who are disabled) when they are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation.  Contact your County HOTLINE.
  • The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman (Ombudsperson) was established by legislation, California Senate Bill 933 (Chapter 311/Statutes of 1998) and has been mandated to do the following:
  • Ensure the voice of foster children and youth is heard, and act on their behalf. 
  • Create an avenue for foster children and youth to file complaints regarding their placement, care and services without fear of retribution from those who provide their care and services. 
  • Act as an independent forum for the investigation and resolution of complaints made by or on behalf of children placed in foster care and make appropriate referrals. 
  • Provide children and youth with information on their rights when placed in foster care. 
  • Maintain a toll-free telephone number which foster children and youth may call from anywhere in California to express their concerns and complaints.

Other Resources