Field Operations Bureau
The Field Operations Bureau (Field Ops), as the operational arm of the Disaster Services Branch, works closely with all 58 Operational Areas (OAs) across California in Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.
Field Ops personnel provide support to the Mass Care Coordinators in each OA in the following ways:
- Provide technical assistance in reviewing plans, standard operating procedures, shelter assessment check list, etc.
- Provide recommendations for process improvements related to interagency coordination.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of exercises and trainings.
- Facilitate quarterly Regional Mass Care Meetings to improve coordination, communication, collaboration, and cooperation with and amongst counties in a region.
- Communicate best practices and lessons learned from counties across the state.
- Increase the awareness of non-profit partners that can augment existing mass care capacity within an OA.
- Develop and maintain Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with non-profit partners to assist with wraparound services during a disaster response.
During the Response phase, Field Ops supports OAs by:
- Providing a linkage to State resources and support.
- Deploying Field Staff to an impacted jurisdiction to work in an Emergency Operation Center (EOC) or in the field.
- Ensuring OA unmet needs are being met through effective and timely communication.
- Deploying Field Ops staff to the State Operations Center, local EOC, the field, etc.
- Representing CA ESF-6 Mass Care and Shelter function.
While a majority of the Field Ops staff work is conducted in the Preparedness and Response phases, staff play a role in Recovery by:
- Communicating with the OA’s Mass Care Coordinator and work to remove roadblocks and issues they might face.
- Coordinating with state and federal partners to ensure all available programs and resources are brought to bear on behalf of an impacted community and its survivors/evacuees.
- Working with non-profit partners and local health and human service agency partners to ensure case work and any follow-on services can be implemented in a timely manner.
Meet the Field Operations Staff