Resources for Clients and Families

Adult Facility Types Licensed by CDSS

  • Adult Residential Facilities (ARF): Provide 24-hour a day, non-medical care and supervision for clients ages 18-59 or any person 60 years of age or older under specified requirements. These clients may have a mental, physical or developmental disability.
  • Adult Day Programs (ADP): Any community-based facility or program that provides non-medical care and supervision to persons 18 years of age or older in need of personal services, supervision, or assistance essential for sustaining the activities of daily living or for the protection of these individuals, in a day care setting, on less than a 24-hour basis.
  • Adult Residential Facilities for Persons with Special Health Care Needs (ARFPSHN): Provide 24-hour a day services for up to five adults with developmental disabilities, who have special health care needs and intensive support needs.
  • Community Crisis Homes-ARF (CCH): An Adult Residential Facility that provides 24-hour nonmedical care to individuals with developmental disabilities receiving regional center services and in need of crisis intervention services under specified requirements.
  • Enhanced Behavioral Support Homes-ARF (EBSH): An Adult Residential Facility that provides 24-hour nonmedical care to individuals with developmental disabilities who require enhanced behavioral supports under specified requirements.
  • Social Rehabilitation Facilities (SRF): Provide 24 hour a day non-medical care and supervision in a group setting to adults recovering from a mental illness who temporarily need assistance, guidance or counseling.
  • Residential Care Facilities for the Chronically Ill (RCFCI): Provide care and supervision to adults who have HIV disease or AIDS, emancipated minors with HIV disease or AIDS, or family units with adults or children or both with HIV disease or AIDS, or have a terminal illness.

Facility Search Website

The Facility Search website contains information about licensed facilities throughout California. This information is intended to help individuals and families learn more about a facility they might be considering.

How to Review a Facility File

Are you interested in finding out if a facility meets licensing requirements? If so, you may contact your local Regional Office and make a request to review the licensee's facility file. The file will contain information related to evaluation visits conducted by the licensing agency and any complaints against the facility that were substantiated by the Department. You can also review a facility’s licensing reports, which are part of the facility file, by using the Facility Search website.

Choosing Residential Care for Adults

The Department of Social Services has published the Resource Guide for Choosing Residential Care for Adults.

  • Resource Guide for Choosing Residential Care for Adults in California (English)(Spanish)

Reporting Fraud

  • The Social Security Administration (SSA), Office of the Inspector General (OIG), Fraud Hotline provides an avenue for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse within SSA's programs and operations.

Elder Abuse and Neglect Reporting

To report Elder Abuse or Neglect contact the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman CRISISline at 1-800-231-4024 or the local police or sheriff’s department. You may also contact the California Department of Social Services at 1-844-538-8766.

Resident Advocacy

Long-Term Care Ombudsman representatives also assist residents in long-term care facilities with advocacy related to day-to-day care, health, safety, and personal preferences. Problems can include, but are not limited to:

  • Violation of residents' rights or dignity
  • Physical, verbal, mental, or financial abuse
  • Poor quality of care
  • Dietary concerns
  • Medical care, therapy, and rehabilitation issues
  • Medicare and Medi-Cal benefit issues
  • Improper transfer or discharge of a resident
  • Inappropriate use of chemical or physical restraints

For more information visit the Long-Term Care Ombudsman website.

Contact Us

Community Care Licensing
Adult and Senior Care Program
744 P Street, MS 9-14-820
Sacramento, CA 95814

Telephone: (916) 657-2592
Fax: (916) 653-9335

CCLD Complaint Hotline

If you see something, let us know!

To file a complaint regarding a state licensed community care facility , child care facility, or home care organization, visit our Complaint Hotline Page for contact information and more.


CCLD Services and Notifications