Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

Photo of hands painted with a map of the world

Who is it for?

RCA is a cash assistance program for refugees who are not otherwise eligible for any other cash aid.  RCA also includes employment and other social services to assist a refugee in becoming self-sufficient.

Population that could be eligible for the RCA encompasses all of the following groups: RefugeesAsyleesCuban and Haitian entrantsSpecial Immigrant Visa (SIV) holdersAfghan and Ukrainian Parolees, Amerasians, and Certified Victims of human trafficking.

RCA is available for up to 12 months from date of admission to the U.S. in qualifying status, date of final grant of asylum or date of certification by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) as Victim of Trafficking.

The Cuban and Haitian Entrant Cash Assistance (ECA) is also a 12 month, federally funded needs-based cash assistance program for qualified Cuban and Haitian who have a current or expired parole, who are in pending removal proceedings, or who have a pending application for asylum are Cuban/Haitian Entrants and thus are eligible for ORR benefits and services, same as a refugee. The program mirrors the Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program.

Victims of human trafficking may be eligible for additional services before they have a certification by the Office of Trafficking in Persons (OTIP) as Victim of Trafficking. Visit the TCVAP webpage to find out more.

How to Apply:

Apply online at BenefitsCal. To apply in person or to find out more about RCA benefits in your county, please contact your county social services agency.

Already Getting RCA?

If you have questions or problems with your RCA benefits, contact your local County Refugee Coordinator (CRC) or your county social services agency.

Information and Resources

For more information and resources visit the Refugee Programs website. This resource is designed to assist county eligibility workers and other partners who provide services to the public.

If you are a member of the public we encourage you to apply online at  BenefitsCal or contact your county social services agency