CCLD Complaint Hotline



To file a complaint regarding a state licensed community care facility, child care facility , or home care organization, call or contact us using the options below :

Phone: 844-LET US NO (844-538-8766)

You can also email us at or use our online complaint webpage.
For additional information about how your complaint will be handled, click here.

Remember, when you report suspected violations, you not only protect individuals in care facilities, but also perform a service to your community.

How can I file a complaint regarding a facility, a facility licensee, facility staff person, or home care organization?
Determine what type of facility you are filing a complaint against. Is it a Community Care Facility, Home Care Organization, or is it a Health Care Facility?


(Licensed by the California Department of Social Services)

Less than 24-hour nonmedical care and supervision:

  • Child Day Care Facilities: Child Care Centers and Family Child Care Homes
  • Adult Day Programs+
  • Home Care Organizations

24-hour nonmedical care and supervision:

  • Children's Residential Facilities: Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Programs, Group Homes, Foster Family Homes, Small Family Homes, Transitional Housing, Crisis Nursery, Adoption Agencies, Foster Family Agencies
  • Adult Residential Facilities: (includes Social Rehabilitation Facilities)
  • Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly


(Licensed by the California Department of Public Health)

  • Provide care to individuals who require medical care and supervision
  • General Acute Care Hospitals, Acute Psychiatric Hospitals, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Intermediate Care Facilities, Chemical Dependency Recovery Hospitals, Adult Day Health Centers, Correctional Treatment Centers, and Rehabilitation Clinics. (There are 30 different types.)

For complaints against Health Care Facilities, please contact the California Department of Public Health, Licensing and Certification Division

Who do I contact for complaints against Community Care Facilities?

  • First, try to resolve minor concerns or differences with the provider. If your concerns are still not addressed and you believe that the provider is breaking licensing laws, a complaint should be filed
  • If you believe there is physical or sexual abuse involved, you should also report it to local law enforcement

You may call or write the appropriate office and explain your complaint. Your name will remain anonymous unless you give us permission to use it

Contact Information

Children's Residential Facilities (Group Homes and Family Homes)--contact the Children's Residential Regional Office where the facility is located

Foster Family Homes located in: Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Colusa, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Los Angeles, Madera, Mendocino, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Plumas, Riverside, Sierra, Solano, Trinity, and Yolo Counties--contact the Children's Residential Regional Office designated for that county.

For all other counties—contact the appropriate County Foster Family Home licensing office

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Adult Residential Facilities, Adult Day Programs, Social Rehabilitation Facilities - contact the Adult/Senior Care Regional Office where the facility is located

Family Child Care Homes (day care provided in someone's own home) - contact the local Regional Office where the Family Child Care Home is located.

Child Care Centers (day care provided in a commercial building that is not a person's own home) - contact the local Regional Office where the Child Care Center is located.

Home Care Organizations (Provide private health care aides to individuals in their homes to assist with activities of daily living) – contact the Home Care Services Branch .

How will my complaint be handled?

The Department, parents, guardians of clients, Licensees, and providers all play a role in protecting the health and safety of clients at licensed Community Care Facilities. The complaint process is an important tool to help monitor the provision of licensed care and ensure that Community Care Facilities meet health and safety standards as required by law.

  • The local licensing office will make an unannounced visit to the facility to investigate the complaint within 10 days of receipt of the complaint.
  • You will be notified in writing that your complaint has been received, if you have provided your contact information, and a Licensing Program Analyst (LPA) or Enforcement Analyst will be assigned to your case who will be your point of contact throughout the investigation.
  • When reaching a determination on a complaint, Community Care Licensing uses a “Preponderance of the Evidence” standard, meaning the available evidence must show that it is more likely than not (more than 50%) that the allegation is true. If this standard is met, the allegation will be “Substantiated.” The LPA or Enforcement Analyst may reach a finding of “Unsubstantiated” if the investigation shows that this standard hasn't been met, meaning there isn't enough evidence to prove a violation occurred. The LPA or Enforcement Analyst may reach a finding of “Unfounded” if the evidence shows an allegation could not have happened, is false, and/or is without a reasonable basis.
  • Once the investigation is completed, the Department will notify you in writing of the findings if you have provided your contact information. The length of the investigation depends on the complexity of the case.

In the interim, should you have any questions or concerns, you may contact the local licensing office.