- New Fee Structure Notice: Exams and Certificate Processing
- Administrator Certification Examination
- Update: Administrator Certification Program Waivers
- Notice: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates
- Notice: Delinquency Fee
- Notice: Continuing Education Units (CEU)
- Resources: Administrators
- Resources: Training Vendors and Courses
- Resources: Application
Update to the ACS Mailing Address
Please be advised that the ACS Mail Station (MS) address has changed:
Community Care Licensing Division
Administrator Certification Section (ACS)
744 P Street, MS 9-15-807
Sacramento, CA 95814
Stay Informed: Fee Increases for Administrator Examinations and Certificate Processing
PIN 21-11-CCLD – (Changes to Administrator Certification Program Fees)
In accordance with Assembly Bill (AB) 135, an increase to the Administrator Certification Program fees is effective July 1, 2023. The fee changes include new fees for the administrator certification examination and increases to existing fees for processing new and renewal Administrator certification applications. Refer to PIN 21-11-CCLD for additional information about fee changes.
Administrator Certification Application Fees
The non-refundable fees for processing initial and renewal administrator certification applications are as follows:
These fees reflect an annual 10 percent increase from the base fee ($100), not to exceed a total of 40 percent over a four-year period.
- Year 1: Effective July 1, 2021
- Initial Application: $110
- Renewal Application: $110
- Year 2: Effective July 1, 2022
- Initial Application: $120
- Renewal Application: $120
- Year 3: Effective July 1, 2023
- Initial Application: $130
- Renewal Application: $130
- Year 4: Effective July 1, 2024
- Initial Application: $140
- Renewal Application: $140
Administrator Certification Examination Fees
The non-refundable fee for the administrator certification examination is as follows: The administrator certification examination fee is $100 and includes three (3) attempts.
The ACS has developed Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resources on fees for administrator applications and the administrator certification examination. If you have any questions regarding fee increases, please submit your questions to the corresponding e-mail address listed below:
Expiration of Administrator Certification Program Waivers
On October 17, 2022, Governor Newsom issued an announcement that the COVID-19 State of Emergency (SOE) will end on February 28, 2023. As a result, effective March 1, 2023, facilities operating under a waiver pursuant to the SOE are no longer permitted to operate under the CDSS COVID-19 waivers that were extended under the Governor’s Executive Order N-11-22, dated June 17, 2022.
Effective March 1, 2023, prospective and Current Certified Administrators of Adult Residential Facilities; Group Homes; Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly; Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Programs; and Program Training Vendors must resume the following:
- Prospective Administrators must complete an Initial Certification Training Program (ICTP) via Department-approved live training.
- Administrators seeking recertification, must meet the 40-hour continuing education requirement by completing at least 20 hours of in-person courses.
- Current Department-approved Vendors cannot provide Department-approved courses via live-stream that are required to be held in-person. This includes ICTP and Continuing Education Training Program (CETP) course offerings.
Please refer to PIN 22-30-ASC: END OF STATE OF EMERGENCY RELATED TO CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-19) AND EXPIRATION OF COVID-19 WAIVERS for additional information.
Notice: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates
Prospective and renewing administrators must include their e-mail address on their Application for Administrator Certification, form LIC 9214 to ensure delivery of their administrator certificate via e-mail.
Beginning July 1, 2021, the ACS will distribute administrator certificates in a locked portable document format (PDF) via e-mail to certified administrators with an e-mail address on file. Administrators without an e-mail address on file will receive a hard copy certificate by mail.
The ACS has addressed this in PIN 21-09-CCLD - Administrator Certification Section: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates.
Notice: Delinquency Fee
Effective January 1, 2021, payment of a non-refundable delinquency fee of three hundred dollars ($300) will be required (as specified in regulations) in the following situations:
- When an application for recertification is received after the certificate expiration date
- When an incomplete application for recertification is received prior to the certificate expiration date, but the application does not become complete until after the certificate expiration date
An application to recertify a certificate which has been expired for four or more years will not be accepted, as the applicant must take the appropriate ICTP course again.
Beginning January 1, 2016, only CEU courses approved by CDSS (or Regional Centers, where applicable) may be taken for credit toward administrator certificate renewal requirements. See sections 84064.3(b) (GH), 85064.3(b) (ARF) or 87407(b) (RCFE) of the updated regulations for details.
Resources: Training Vendors and Courses
The ACS supports administrators in meeting initial and continuing education certification training requirements through the Core of Knowledge curriculum and the posting of a list of third-party administrator training vendors.
The ACS has a NEW resource for administrators; a comprehensive list of approved administrator training courses. Administrators can now review course lists by program to determine what courses best meet their training needs. Administrators can then contact the vendor for more information. Until further notice, course lists will be updated on a weekly basis.
Note: Mail services that provide delivery confirmation for administrator applications is recommended.